Facts about Buckwheat
- Contains a high concentration of all ‘essential’ amino acids
- Gluten -free
- Mineral-rich, especially in: Iron, Zinc, Magnesium & Selenium (deficient in most Westernized diets).
- Rich in Antioxidants: Rutin and Selenium
- Contains approximately 5-grams of fiber per cup
Recipe: Buckwheat Veggie Soup (Perfect for a cold winter day)
Summary: Amino Acids & Mineral Rich Buckwheat Soup
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1 medium leek 2 rutabagas (optional)
• 2 carrots
• 1/2 cup buckwheat groats
• 4 cups vegetable broth
• 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (full fat = best)
• salt and pepper
1. Wash the leeks and slice thinly discarding the last 2 inches of the green tops.
2. Wash and peel the rutabagas and carrots and cut into small cubes or slices.
3. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add vegetables and fry for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
4. Add buckwheat groats and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then turn heat down to low. Simmer for about 30 minutes.
5. Stir in Greek yogurt with small increments (so it doesn’t curdle) and taste with salt and pepper.
Add any veggies you like! You can also add grass-fed beef chunks, chicken or turkey to the soup. Cook the meat prior to adding into the soup.
Cooking time (duration): 5
Diet type: Vegetarian
Diet (other): Low calorie, Reduced fat, Gluten free
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: USA (General)
Copyright © Stella Metsovas