Boost the health of your gut by consuming a diverse landscape of plant fibers. The goal is to crave salads throughout the year–including the fall and winter–with hearty recipes just like this. To really amp up the flavors of the season, root vegetables and baked apples are used to merry the flavors of fall together. You can boost the protein and make this a main meal by adding your favorite baked meats or pan-seared tempeh.
Roasted Root Vegetable Salad with Baked Apple Dressing
For: 4 people
Root vegetables can take a while to roast in the oven–I recommend baking a large batch and storing in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. Just reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for approximately 8 – 10 minutes.
1 acorn squash
2/3 cup of white shredded cabbage
2 small red beets, washed and shredded
2 handfuls of mesclun greens
1 handful of arugula leaves
8 chestnuts, cooked and chopped
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon paprika
Salt and pepper
For the vinaigrette
1/2 of baked apple, skin and seeds removed
1 tablespoon of walnut oil
4 tablespoons of olive oil
1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon of mustard
2 tablespoons of water
Salt and pepper
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 °.
- Wash the acorn squash and apples and cut into slices. Baked for approximately 30 minutes, flipping the slices halfway through cooking; set aside when done.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil with the paprika. Using a brush, coat the acorn squash and apples with the oil, salt and pepper.
- Heat a frying pan with a bit of olive oil and roast the chestnuts for a few minutes, remove and set aside.
- Using a mandolin or food processor (grater attachment), finely grate the cabbage and the beets, set aside.
- Peel the pear and dice, set aside.
- Wash the mesclun and arugula, dry and set aside.
- Prepare the vinaigrette by mixing all the ingredients together in a blender or by hand using a whisk.
- In a salad bowl, place the ingredients in the salad, beginning with mesclun and arugula, then the shredded cabbage and beets, followed by the baked acorn squash and apple, chestnuts and pears to finish. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and enjoy.