Do you need to supplement with digestive enzymes? We naturally produce digestive enzymes in saliva, stomach, pancreas, and the small intestine. If our bodies naturally produce enzymes to facilitate digestion, then why do we need to supplement digestive enzymes.
The Westernized diet is pretty much devoid of fresh foods that naturally contain living enzymes. When you’re filling up on processed foods (they contain no living particles because of processing and pasteurization), the body will work in overtime trying to digest these foods.
Naturopathic physicians strongly advise in using digestive enzymes to enhance digestive capabilities. Many uses for supplementing with digestive enzymes include:
- Digestive enzymes for bloating
- Digestive enzymes for candida
- Digestive enzymes for diabetes
- Digestive enzymes for acid reflux
- Digestive enzymes for intestinal cleansing
- Digestive enzymes and weight loss
Should you take digestive enzymes before or after eating? My advice is 15 minutes prior to consuming your meals.
My favorite best digestive enzyme supplements include:
- Garden of Life Omega-Zyme
- Life Extension Enhanced Super Digestive w Probiotics (my personal favorite)
- Enzymedica Digest Gold, CarbGest
I also recommend reading Enzyme Nutrition by Dr. Edward Howell. You can purchase from Amazon, here.
Always consult with your medical doctor before beginning with supplementation.
Yours in Health,